Church Pulpit

Church Pulpit

The Church Pulpit was presented to the Roma Church of Christ and dedicated to the memory of Mr & Mrs Philip Browne by their nephew and nieces – Will, Alice, Mabel, Ethel and Muriel.

Philip Browne spent his early years in the Goondiwindi district, droving & doing general station work.  As a young man he came to Roma to work in the office of Mr F.W.P. Thompson – a solicitor.  Later he commenced as Secretary to the Roma Hospital where he worked for about 39 years.  He was also a skilful chess player and as a younger man enjoyed playing against visiting chess players from other towns.  Philip Browne was a devoted member of the Roma Church of Christ.  At a Sunday School Anniversary in 1940 Mr. L. R. Pitman (Superintendent of the Sunday School) paid a special tribute to the service of the late Mr. Philip Browne ‘to whose industry and patience, the services of the Church were carried on during the early years’.

Philip married Miss Kathryn Kieseker in 1891, the daughter of another old Roma family – Mr & Mrs George Kieseker – who came to Roma in 1863.  Her father first camped on Bungil creek.  There he built a hut for accommodation for his family.  In 1868 he purchased 8 acres of land north of Roma.  Kathrine was a great worker for the Church of which she had been a member for about 40 years and was a prominent member of the Roma branch of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union.

Philip Browne died at the age of 72 on the 15th February 1923 and Katherine Browne died aged 75 on the 9th July 1933.  Both are buried in the Roma Cemetery.

MORE POSTS

Harry’s Chair

 This chair was donated to the Church in 1932 by Mrs Kate Saunders in loving memory of her husband – Mr Harry Hind Saunders.  Harry

Read More »

The Church Bell

 Our historic bell was first installed as a church bell in October 1876 at the then Congregational Church in Arthur Street, Roma. The Roma Church

Read More »